Information on the Safety of the Brandeis-Bardin Campus
DTSC has affirmed officially, publicly and definitively what they have been telling us all along—the Brandeis-Bardin property is safe. Here is an excerpt from that statement:
"The Brandeis-Bardin Institute Campus is safe for use by Faculty, Staff, Students, and Campers. Contamination at the Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL) does not pose a health threat to users (e.g., campers, visitors, students, faculty, administrators or staff) of Brandeis-Bardin Institute, or other off-site areas."
This more general DTSC statement (Community Update) is accompanied by an extensive technical memo evaluating more than 25 years of data gathered from the Brandeis-Bardin Campus and an Executive Summary written for a lay readership. This analysis includes studies conducted over many years by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the California Environmental Protection Agency, the California Department of Health, Tetra Tech, and others. This analysis also reviewed the many years of monitoring by the Brandeis-Bardin Institute and now American Jewish University.
Here are some additional updates relating to work that has recently been done:
- We were informed by the LA Regional Water Quality Control Board that, notwithstanding the heavy rainfalls, no substance exceedance from the neighboring Santa Susana Field Laboratory has been detected in the storm water running off onto Brandeis-Bardin. In other words, as DTSC confirmed, nothing harmful is coming onto our property from the SSFL.
- Although the claims of harmful, off-site migration from SSFL have all been false, nevertheless, we continue to conduct our own studies. Our latest round of testing occurred in mid-January. We are happy to report that this sampling data is consistent with many years of previous sampling data and shows Brandeis-Bardin to be safe for our campers, staff, and visitors. For more information, please see our 2017 Winter Testing Results.
AJU greatly appreciates DTSC's efforts in making this statement available to the public.
- DTSC Related Documents
- Tetra Tech Related Documents
- USEPA Related Documents
- BBC (BBI) 2017 Winter Testing Results, January 2017
- BBC (BBI) 2015 Winter Testing Results, December 2015
- BBC (BBI) 2014 Summer Testing Results, September 2014
- Testing of New Wells at BBC, December 2013
- BBC (BBI) New Wells Testing Results, January 2012
- BBC (BBI) 2011 Summer Testing Results, August 2011
- BBC (BBI) 2009 Winter Testing Results, January 2010
- BBC (BBI) 2007 Summer Testing Results, July 2007
- BBC (BBI) Testing Reports, May, 2006
- February 1997 Report
- BBC (BBI) Crop Testing, April, 1996
- Testing Data: 1991-1995
- Annotated Brandeis-Bardin Campus Map
SSFL Epidemiological Studies
- Cal. Dept. of Health Services (1990, with follow-up in 1992)
- Cal. Dept. of Health Services (1992 followup)
- Tri-County Cancer Registry (1997)
- Expert Panel Review (1999)
- ATSDR (1999)
- Tri-County Cancer Registry (1999)
- Tri-County Cancer Registry (2006)
- Dr. Yoram Cohen, UCLA (2006) (draft)
- Dr. Hal Morgenstern, U. Michigan (2007)
- Cal. DPH, Cancer Surveillance Section (2007)
- Dr. Thomas Mack, USC Keck School of Medicine (2014)