Transfer Credit Policies
Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education – Transfer Credit Policy
Students applying for admission to the Bachelor of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education (BAECE) completion program must fulfill 60 units outside of AJU. Approximately 34.0 semester units or 51.0 quarter units must meet requirements using the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
Evaluating Credit for Coursework Done Prior to Applying
Prospective students will be evaluated as part of the application process. This process involves receiving your transcripts and reviewing them against an AJU BAECE transfer-credit evaluation worksheet. Course-by-course evaluations are only done for admitted students who’ve notified us that they plan to enroll.
Who Determines Which Credits Transfer?
The School for Jewish Education and Leadership (SJEL) will determine the transferability of coursework taken at other institutions for newly admitted BAECE students. This process involves completing an AJU BAECE transfer credit evaluation worksheet to determine what, if any, remaining coursework needs to be completed to fulfill the 60 units outside of AJU as part of the program requirements. The evaluation is then submitted to the University Registrar so that the office may enter transfer credits onto the student transcript.
When Course Credits Are Approved
To receive credit, you must
- Attend a regionally accredited college or university in the United States, or a recognized university in another country. If English is not the primary language in the country, your transcripts must be translated by recognized Current Members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. If you have questions concerning the accreditation or recognition of the institution you plan to attend, please contact us.
- Take academic courses which are substantially similar to those offered by the UC/CSU system.
- If applicable, assure they meet with AJU’s IGETC requirements.
- Take courses that don’t repeat material you have already completed.
- Request that the institution attended send us an official transcript. Requests for transcripts from foreign institutions should be made before you leave the country.
Courses that will likely NOT transfer:
Courses will likely not transfer if:
- The school does not have proper accreditation.
- The course is credit for work or volunteer experience, vocational or technical training (internship), or a personal enrichment course.
- Your course is focused on a remedial academic topic or pre-Bachelor’s degree courses, especially in English and mathematics.
- Your course is a duplication of a passing AP/IB exam or of other coursework you have taken.
United States Military Credit
If you have completed courses provided by the U.S. military, you should report those courses to our Admissions Department and should be prepared to submit an official military transcript to AJU. We may award transfer credit after enrollment for some of your U.S. military courses only if the content was equivalent to our transfer credit requirements for AJU’s BAECE program.
Sending Your Transcripts to American Jewish University
Electronically – we must receive your transcript directly from the transcript vendor/institution. We will not accept transcripts as official sent as an email attachment and/or sent from the student/applicant.
By Mail – Paper documents will only be considered official if they are sent in a sealed school envelope.
Please send your paper official transcripts to:
American Jewish University
Attn: Office of Admissions- School for Jewish Education and Leadership
15600 Mulholland Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90077
Other Forms of Coursework Credit You May Be Able to Receive
Credit from Advanced Placement (AP) Exams
AJU awards college credit for AP exams with scores of four or higher.
Credit from International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams
AJU awards college credit for most IB higher-level exams with scores of five or higher.
Credits for Units or Subject Matter Toward Degree Requirements
Students who wish to apply and be accepted to the BAECE degree must fulfill 60 units outside of AJU. Approximately 34.0 semester units or 51.0 quarter units must meet requirements using the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). Students must complete a minimum of 60 upper division credits in residence at AJU, through our BAECE courses, to total a minimum of 120.0 semester units when combined with transfer units.
To learn more, contact Early Childhood Coordinator Megan Blicha at blicha.megan [at] aju.edu.
Request more information HERE.