M.A., Jewish Communal Service, Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
MSW, University of Southern California
B.A., Design and Industry, San Francisco State University
In 2007, Dan was named Senior Vice President of Philanthropic Services at the Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles. In 2018, he was promoted to Executive Vice President. The Foundation is the largest manager of charitable assets for Greater Los Angeles Jewish philanthropists. In 2017, The Foundation made grants of $97 million to nonprofit organizations.
Formerly, he served as:
* Deputy Director for Development at the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association
* Vice President of Development at the American Jewish University (AJU)
* Resource Development Director, American Jewish Committee, Los Angeles
* Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving, Northridge Hospital Foundation
* Co-Director, Business and Professions, United Jewish Fund, Los Angeles
* Campaign Director, San Fernando Valley Region, Los Angeles Jewish Federation
* Campaign Associate, Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco
Over the years, he has served as a consultant to a variety of non-profit organizations throughout Los Angeles and regularly lectures on issues related to philanthropy.
He has served as a faculty member of UCLA Extension, the AJU Not-For-Profit MBA program and the AJU Rabbinic Management Institute for the last decade. From 1998 to 2000, he was a member of the faculty of the AJU Graduate program in the Behavioral Psychology Department and taught in the AJU’s Extension program.
Dan received an honorary doctorate from HUC-JIR in 2011. He was named Alumni of the Year in 1997 by HUC-JIR, School of Jewish Communal Service (SJCS). In 2017, Dan received the Fundraiser of the Year Award from the Jewish Communal Professionals of Southern California and in 2010, he was awarded an honor for outstanding service to the field of Jewish communal professionals by the Jewish Communal Professionals of Southern California.
Dan’s volunteer community activities have included serving on:
* Board of Directors, Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust
* Community Advisory Board, Grammy Museum
* Board of Directors, Los Angeles Chapter, Association of Fundraising Professionals
* Board of Directors, Valley Alliance, Jewish Federation
* Community Advisory Board, American Jewish Committee, Los Angeles
* Community Advisory Board, HUC-JIR SJCS
* President, Second Generation
* Steering Committee member, National Philanthropy Day
* Membership Committee, Southern California Grantmakers
Integrating Major Gifts and Planned Giving in the May 1995 edition of Fund Raising Management magazine.
* A Unity of Purpose: A Practical Approach to Combining Annual Campaigning and Planned Giving Fund Raising Efforts, with Russell Robinson, in the Fall 1996 edition of the Journal of Jewish Communal Service.
* Making It Easier to Give to Non-Profits, October 11, 2010 in San Fernando Valley Business Journal