In this class we attempt to deal dispassionately with the following themes:
- The concept of the Moshiach in Jewish thought: A gamut of views
- The Talmudic sages’ speculations on the Messianic age
- The Traditional Jewish viewpoint on Jesus and the Christian Religion, including scanty references in the Talmud
- “The Jews murdered our Lord!” The Crucifixion and the crime of Deicide
- Did Jesus claim to be divine?
- The Historical Jesus
- Jesus and the Pharisees
- Was Jesus a Torah-true Jew or a Christian?
- The Jewish roots of early Christianity: Some truisms
- Why Jews aren’t Christians or, why certain Christian teaching attributed to Jesus are problematic to believing Jews
- Maimonides on the candidacy of the Moshiach and why Jesus didn’t qualify
Dates: December 8th, 2013
Number of meetings: 1 Session
Meeting duration: 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Availability: Available for online registration